Thursday, March 19, 2015

excuses?not me,,,well,,,,,

“ I can’t, I’m too young, I’ve never done that before “ , and the list goes on. Yes you guessed it, those are all excuses. Excuses have been around since the beginning of time. In Genesis 3:11-13 we read this, And He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?" The man said, "The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.” Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" And the woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate, so we see that Adam started the finger pointing way back in the garden with the woman who gave him an apple to eat
So why do we make these excuses up, why do we find it so easy to use them? I believe that Excuses serve to justify poor choices, disguise fear, shift responsibility or relieve guilt.
We read that Moses made excuses by saying he is unworthy, unknowing, unable. All of those things may have been true, but are not good excuses because God promised to be with him. I think Moses was just plain out afraid.
We read in the Book of Exodus 3:9-14 that God wanted to use Moses in a mighty way, God said, “The Israelite cry for help has come to me, and I’ve seen for myself how cruelly they’re being treated by the Egyptians. It’s time for you to go back: I’m sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people, the People of Israel, out of Egypt.” Moses answered God, “But why me? What makes you think that I could ever go to Pharaoh and lead the children of Israel out of Egypt? I’ll be with you,” God said. “And this will be the proof that I am the one who sent you: When you have brought my people out of Egypt, you will worship God right here at this very mountain.” Then Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the People of Israel and I tell them, ‘The God of your fathers sent me to you’; and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ What do I tell them?” God said to Moses, “I-AM-WHO-I-AM. Tell the People of Israel, ‘I-AM sent me to you.’”
Think about this, isn’t it much easier not to take responsibility for a relationship with God? We can just accuse Him of being far away. It seems easier to point the blaming finger at the circumstances of life rather than overcome them. I make excuses about how some day, maybe I’ll have more time for God, more time to share the Gospel, more time to read the Bible. Perhaps you feel justified to use excuses because, like Moses, God is asking you to accomplish something you are unwilling, unprepared, or are afraid to do. For me, excuses masked my fear, vindicated my disobedience, and most of all consoled my guilt. My excuses and comfort zone are holding me back from finding the blessings and from being a blessing.
In John 8:12 we read this, Jesus once again addressed them: “I am the world’s Light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in.” Following Jesus will require that you stop making excuses, step outside your comfort zone, claim a faith that conquers fear, and dare to cross the street. Contentment to stay in a holy huddle or rely on your excuses will keep you from discovering the courage, confidence, and protection God will provide you through faith in Christ. There is more to the Christian life than just having faith, you have to put it to the test. Play the Hand You’re Dealt
So today I encourage you my friends, Step outside your comfort zone. When you feel your heart pounding and insecurity wells up in your thoughts, then you are perilously close to the edge of your comfort zone. Take one more step over the line and remember the verse: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13. You will be amazed what you find on the other side of fear and excuses. Put down your cards, God is calling your bluff.
Blessings Tim.J.




No comments:

Post a Comment